Friday, October 11, 2013

My Top 5 (overly used) Memes


My friends and I are all internet junkies. We can have what resembles a full conversation in memes, which are just fun and memorable quotes (or images) that people use until they lose all comedic value. Here's a list of  some that my friends and I have already run through.


5. Professor Farnsworth

While it was originally used in an episode of Futurama to convey the professor's disappointment over a Creationist argument, this image has spread across the internet as an effective way of expressing disappointment without having to type anything. I posted this meme on my Facebook page when Sony first announced the release of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. A number of people posted it when they found out who won the last year's election. Part of this meme's appeal is that is' such an exaggerated claim. Now I hardly even notice when one of my friends blatantly makes what could easily be misinterpreted as a suicidal comment.      

4. Y  U  NO...!?

This meme actually gets used around my house more than it does when I'm at work or with my friends. I'll walk into my little sister's room, turn off the tv and say, "Keona, you say you clean kitchen, but why you no do dishes!?" This is has become a funnier way of reminding my siblings to do their chores without causing any serious arguments. This meme is really easy to abuse for the simple fact that you can insert virtually anything after the first three words and it'll still make sense.



3. One does not simply...

For a meme that's supposed to be saved for especially tricky or daunting tasks, this one finds it's way into my conversations on at least a biweekly basis. It could be something as simple as inviting my sisters to walk with me to the store. There's an awkward silence as they stare at each other and then back at me before informing me that one does not simply walk to Food Depot. My friends even use this one when we're trying to make plans or get together to do something productive. Now that I think about it, this meme has just become a vague excuse not to do something that sounds like a lot of work. 











2. Admiral Ackbar

This was easily the meme of the summer for me and my friends. We would wander into a thrift shop, mess around for an hour or two, and then try to leave through a one-way automatic entrance. When the doors refused to budge, I would always turn around and dramatically yell, "It's a trap!" The same thing happened last week when we almost got locked in Dollar Tree for staying too late. Eventually it got to the point that we'd be sitting around playing Mario Kart and someone can't even drop a banana without me announcing it. I also found several variations, including, take a nap, it's the clap, check the map, and it's a wrap. I accept full responsibility for using this meme until it got old and then continuing to use it for about another three months until it was dead.

1. Sweet Brown

Originally an apartment fire survivor telling a news anchor that she developed bronchitis while escaping the burning building, her reaction ("Ain't nobody got time for that!") is what made Sweet Brown an internet sensation. Now whenever work, school, relationships, or anything even remotely bothersome gets brought up, people have a meme to shoot it back down. This is usually the response I get after asking, "Keona, why you no do dishes?" Just last week someone asked me if I studied the Japanese alphabet for our midterm, to which I angrily replied with the quote mentioned above. I hear it at least three times a week. Sadly enough, my parents have even started using this meme.

No comments:

Post a Comment